Sunday, July 10, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2



1. You. I am a college student at the University of Florida. This course is the first thing to introduce me to the entrepreneurial route, but I have had key personality factors my whole life that allow me have potential to be a successful entrepreneur. I am extremely goal oriented, I like to set big goals for myself. Once I have a well defined goal, I usually will get a bit obsessive over it. Making sure I do everything in my power to achieve that goal, so far most of my goals I do achieve. I also am very empathetic, which allows me to relate to consumers more and realize how they really feel about a problem or a product. Lastly, I am motivated. I believe that motivation is one of the biggest factors in many lines of work, especially entrepreneurship.

2. What are you offering to customers? I am offering to customers a resealable option on chip bags. I will be targeting large party bag size of chips. My product will be a full adhesive seal that extends the entire length of the chip bag. The seal will be strong, yet resealable as well. This will solve consumer needs by offering an option to instantly reseal a chip bag, preventing staleness before you have a chance to finish the bag. Currently, consumers have to rely on chip clips (which easily break or are lost) or just rolling the bag up. I also received feedback that I could potentially add this resealable option on smaller to medium sized bags as well. 

3. Who are you offering it to? Currently I am debating on whether or not to focus the target on the manufacturers of chip bags. If I go this route, I have several decisions to make. I can form a partnership with one manufacturer that maybe does one brand of chip, or I can open it up to several types of brands. My target customer has the commonality that they all manufacture bags for chips, bags that do not have a resealable option. I have not received feedback on this aspect yet but I still think this is a solid plan that I still believe in. 

4. Why do they care? Chip companies care because a resealable option gives them leverage over a company that does not have one. It also gives the image of higher end (well the most higher end you can get for a chip market). Customers will respect the product/company more and associate them with quality. This means profits have the potential to increase. Manufacturers care because that can bargain higher prices for adding in the seal, and it will be very easily to physically implement with todays technology.

5. What are your core competencies? Physically, what I have that no other has is an option to instantly reseal chip bags. I also have the advantage of being a college student where college students are a large percentage of the consumer makeup. I also have the motivation and drive to actually make it happen.


I believe that my 5 points on the idea napkin assignment do work well together. The only aspect that I believe is a weak point in the design currently, is meshing out who I will be exactly targeting in terms of manufacturer/supplier/company.


Feedback memo: 1) I can target more than just large bags of chips- I can do smaller to medium as well. 2) Not everyone is going to like this idea and thats okay 3) there is a large enough market that will see this feature as useful 4) There are other option available so I need to make it known why my option is the better method 5) Possibly adding in research to back up a claim that my seal will prevent staleness the longest

2 comments:

  1. Hey Becky,

    Over the semester I have read some of your blog posts in respect to you business venture. I really like your idea as I believe it is a genuine product that could be very useful to both consumers and suppliers. I think mainly anyone could relate when it comes to chips becoming stale after exposure to air. People become frustrated and wither throw the chips away or have to consume dissatisfying chips. Your product is a logical response to this problem. I think you have your idea well organized and ready to implement soon. Good job love the idea! Check out my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/

    Regards,
    Juan Parra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky,

    I think your assessment of your product is very reasonable and fair. It's good that you understand it won't be easy to find a manufacturer and supplier and get everything started. I agree with your core competencies; being around other college students is such a huge advantage for a product like this because you know what the kids like and you can relate to them in ways that not everybody can. I also like the idea and wish I could purchase resealable chips. Whenever I open a bag I just have to eat them all because I don't even feel like closing it. Here is my blog: jaredpape.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete