Tuesday, July 12, 2016
My Unfair Advantage
1) My contacts
V: Having a contact that actually worked in a major chip company is extremely valuable source of information.
R: She is the only person that I have ever known that has worked in a chip company
I: Her unique experience in the company is not able to be replicated by anyone
N: Other resources can be beneficial but can not replace her potential value to me
2) Practical product
V: My product idea is actually practical. It will easily click in the consumers mind of how this will be beneficial.
R: It is often hard to find a product that you don't have spend resources to explain to a consumer group.
I: Practicality is hard to copy. Your product has it or it does not.
N: There are similar products that can have the same effect of preventing staleness, but mine is the most practical because it is right on the bag.
3) Supplier options
V: My products has many options for its supplier. I can focus on supplying the adhesive to manufacturers of various bag company or I can target specific chip companies.
R: Having options is a rare thing
I: Nobody can copy the specific options that I have for suppliers
N: Supplier options are non-substitutable
4) Easy implementation
V: My product would be very simple to implement. Instead of creating a whole new invention, I am simply adding something to an already well established product- a chip bag. This will make the implementation phase go much quicker.
R: So many products require so much time to design and implement
I: Simplicity is hard to copy. It is either there or it is not
N: If someone tried to force their product to be easily implemented- they would likely be cutting corners and may end up with a worse product.
5) Social acceptance
V: My product goes right along with a new shift towards reusable and green products. I can gear marketing toward this
R: Social acceptance is a hard thing and usually require much brand trust.
I: You cannot simply make your product appear to be environmentally friendly if it is not. The public will find out and drive your brand to the ground.
N: There are no other options to "sort of" being enviromentally friendly.
6) Me
V: My product has myself behind it. I believe my drive and abilities will allow this product to find success.
R: There is only one of me
I: Nobody is able to copy my mentality
N: Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses that are unique.
7) Trust
V: My product is an adhesive seal that will be put onto already trusted brands like "Lays" . Consumers will trust the seal because they trust these well established brands.
R: It is rare to be able to take a different product's consumer trust
I: You cannot fabricate trust. Especially with social media nowadays, everything will be online.
N: There is no substitute for loyalty. Consumers tend to stick with their trusted brands for years.
8) Low cost
V: The cost of the adhesive seal will be pennies to create. This will allow me to allocate my resources to more things
R: Low creation cost is not a common thing.
I: Attempting to make something cheap that is not cheap will result in a poor product.
N: My product's low cost is genuine- not forced, which is not substitutable.
9) Quality
V: Because adhesive is low cost, it will allow me to use the best products to create it.
R: Having options to choose the better version is rare.
I: Most products that choose to use better quality resources will be making a big money commitment.
N: Allocating resources is a non substitutable activity. Once you allocate money to one thing, you can't allocate the same money to another thing.
10) First time product for me
V: While this being my first venture may sound like a con, I believe there are more pros associated. I will show perseverance with this product, and will analyze each option.
R: Every entrepreneur only gets to call something their 'first venture' once.
I: The first time is something that is simply not copiable.
N: There are so many things that go into your first venture that are not substitutable. Largely, it is the mentality and passion that may weaken as time goes on.
The resource I believe to be my "top resource" is that my product is low cost. I believe this is the most important is because I will be saving money on the actual product, I will be able to have more money to improve all other aspects.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Becky,
ReplyDeleteI think the top resource is the social acceptance. In today's society being green is more acceptable than ever. And to produce a product that cuts down on waste is huge!
Hi Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteThe fact that your product is low cost is a plus because you said you would use the savings to reinvest more value into your product. You would use the money to improve your product and that is fantastic. It shows that you care about quality and not just quantity and making the most amount of money for the least amount of input.
Angie
http://mynewbloggerblog10.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-ventures-unfair-advantage.html
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBecky,
ReplyDeleteI agree that your top resource is the low cost to produce the product. Also I like the easy implementation of the product with the ease of just adding a resealable strip to existing chip bags. Existing manufacturers and packaging companies must have that system already in place for other products that use a resealable strip, for example shredded cheese packages.
Here is the link to my post “My Unfair Advantage” http://ent3003blogger.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-unfair-advantage.html
Hi Becky,
ReplyDeleteI really like your venture idea and this list solidifies that opinion for me. I really like how you point out that the low cost is the top value for you. This makes it more enticing for companies to begin implementing the product into their products. However, for me the biggest advantage is the easy implementation. A company would be less willing to implement a product if it would delay production or would make things more complicated. If it were not that big of a deal to implement, I could see them being more inclined to use it. Good luck!
http://jrscottratt.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-unfair-advantage.html
Becky,
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading about your venture concept. I can see why you claim your best resource to be the low cost to produce the product itself. This definitely allows you to spend more money on other aspects such as advertising, marketing, etc. I also think your products ability to work with many major suppliers is a huge advantage.
Here is the link to my post.
http://norrisufent.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-unfair-advantage.html
Hi BeckyLee,
ReplyDeleteGood job in coming up with ten different resources for your unfair advantage! It seemed that you took some time and effort in completing this assignment because you were very detailed in creating this post! I also agree that your “top resource” is having your product at a low cost. Your concept idea is very straight forward and understandable that it should be offer at a lower cost. Here is the link to my post: http://yessiblogging.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-unfair-advantage.html