Sunday, July 10, 2016

Growing my Social Capital


CONTACT 1
1) Who they are and what their background is.
-Gregory Bonds works for economic development for the Porch Creek Indian tribe. 
2) Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
- Domain expert. Gregory has worked in the financial field all of his career life. Gregory knows the ins and outs of getting investors, purchasing, and what makes a product stand out.
3) A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
-Gregory has been a friend of the family years and I was fortunate enough to meet him in person to talk.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation? 
- Gregory gave me a ton of valuable information on his field. He told me the typical steps a product like mine would go through to attract a buyer. 
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
- Gregory has worked in the financial field for over 20 years. He has gained many networking contacts himself over this time which I could potentially be referred to. This could help me attract the attention of a potential investor for my product.


CONTACT 2
1) Who they are and what their background is.
-Stella Holland has previously worked for the Lays chip company
2) Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
- Market expert- Stella worked for the Lays chip company for 4 years which makes her a very valuable network connection for my product.
3) A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
- My dad went to college with Stella and I was able to have a conversation with her over the phone.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation? 
- In the phone conversation I had with Stella Holland, I was fortunate enough to receive a lot of specific advice to my product. Since my product is a chip seal, she did say that Lays had experimented with the idea before.
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
- Stella Holland is a great person to network with. She worked for years in the market I am targeting and has many connections that could help introduce my idea to a major chip brand.


CONTACT 3
1) Who they are and what their background is.
-Kevin Simmons is currently a manager at the Publix near my apartment in Orlando FL.
2) Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
-Supplier- I would need a place to get my resealable chip bags on the shelf and Publix is a company that could do it.
3) A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
- I actually just went to the nearest Publix and asked if I could speak to the manager.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation? 
- I was able to talk with Mr. Simmons face to face and he told me how hard it was to get shelf space at Publix. It won't be an easy battle, but with the right connections it is possible. 
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
- Having Mr. Simmons in my network gives me an 'in' to a major grocery store. Grocery stores are the main place that sell chip bags and making connections with Publix could eventually get me there. 

REFLECTION: 
At first, I was extremley intimidating to speak to professionals about my idea that is literally just that- a concept. However, everyone I spoke to was more than kind and helpful and offered so much valuable advice. The main thing I am taking away from this assignment is that I need to get over my fear of reaching out to new people. Networking with the right people can be a complete game changer and avoiding doing it is not an option if you want to be successful. 




5 comments:

  1. Becky,

    I believe you made three great contacts that can help you with your idea especially Stella since she has knowledge of exactly what type of product your idea is for. Additionally, your contact with Kevin is great because he deals directly with the customers purchasing the product your idea is for. I have mentioned your product to my friends and family and they have come across some similar ideas I think you would like. See facebook link below to a DIY idea someone had. Also there is a product called Pirate Booty Popcorn that currently uses a resealable bag. My kids eat it so I took a picture of if but didn't have the ability to attached it to this post. Unfortunately I did not complete this assignment so I do not have a link to share.

    https://www.facebook.com/diyready/videos/855046711295250/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,
    I think that you made great choices for your network. They all definitely seem to fit the right positions. It's interesting that Lays has already experimented with this idea but so far nothing has seem to come of it. Publix would be a great place to market this idea. I know that I would love for bags of chips to be resealable. I hate hunting for bad clips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,

    You did an excellent job finding people for your network! I think Stacy was the best fit for the project because she worked at a company where they experimented with a similar project. She could provide extremely valuable insight. I also need to work on my fear of reaching out to people. That fear actually prevented me from doing this assignment. I actually regret doing so because it seems like you got a lot from this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Becky,

    It is great to read that you went the extra mile when doing this assignment. Having that face to face conversation with the Publix manager surely must have helped you with your business venture. Also having someone who has worked for the Lays chips company must have given a lot of insight on the way the company possible thinks about your product. Also lastly with Mr. Bonds, someone who has been in that field for 20 years must have had expert advice to give to you. Great work! Check out my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/

    Regards,
    Juan Parra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becky,

    I think you did a great job on the assignment, and we definitely share a similar fear. It is so hard to go out and talk to people about stuff they probably don't really care about and not feel a little nervous! I'm not surprised that it isn't very easy to get a shelf space at Publix. Publix is a massive company, and your product/company probably has to be pretty established for Publix to even consider it. I assume, because I am not really sure, that you would have to start out at some smaller, more local vendors. Here is my blog: jaredpape.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete