- The first economic opportunity I chose for this assignment may be bit of a stretch, but I believe it interesting enough to look into.
- (A) http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/24/479327382/for-first-time-in-130-years-more-young-adults-live-with-parents-than-partners According to this article, Americans ages 18-34 are more likely to live with their parents than any other option. Researchers have found that the biggest commonality between those that choose to live with their parents is that they are less educated (did not attend college, high school drop out, etc).
- (B) After reading this article, I believe an opportunity exists to offer young adults an incentive to move out an pursue a higher education. There a many factors that go into the choice to stay at home, for example student loans, lack of economic deflation, and a poor employment market.
- (C) I believe the prototypical customer for this opportunity is young people who are struggling to make the transition out of living with parents.
- (D) I believe this opportunity may be difficult to exploit. Young americans who live with their parents probably enjoy and are dependent on the comforts of living at home.
- WHY did I see this opportunity? I believe that I saw this opportunity because as a student myself in the same age bracket as what this article is discussing, I see so many of my colleagues in the same situation. Its hard to see friends plateau and choose an easy route of dependency rather than growing and becoming independent.
- The second economic opportunity I chose for this assignment actually relates directly to entrepreneurship.
- (A) http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-rural-start-up-decline-20160522-story.html According to this article, Americans that live in small towns or rural areas are much less likely to start up a business than Americans living in big cities. All the factors that contribute to this decrease (start up costs, big brands like Walmart, etc) are said to play a major role in endangering the future of rural economics.
- (B) After reading this article, I believe an opportunity exists to motivate americans living in rural areas to create start up businesses. New businesses are said to be the key to innovation and growth for our entire economy, so there is much potential to provide these Americans incentives.
- (C) I believe the prototypical customer for this opportunity is Americans living in small cities or rural areas that have a desire to become an entrepreneur.
- (D) I believe this opportunity may be difficult to exploit. It will probably take a lot for the average person to pursue the countless risks of starting a new business.
- WHY did I see this opportunity? I saw this opportunity because I have grown up in smaller cities my whole life. I have definitely noticed a decrease in local places being added to the town. It is especially important to me when I know the people who have tried to start a businesses and have given up due to bigger threats likes Walmart that they just cannot compete with.
- The first regulatory change that I chose is one that has been causing great controversy is the transgender bathroom policy.
- (A) http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/us/states-texas-sue-obama-administration-over-transgender-bathroom-policy.html?_r=0 This article I found discusses the new policies that the Obama administration is trying to approve in order to ensure equal rights to transgenders. The policy hints that schools that defy the policy will receive funding cuts.
- (B) After reading this article, I believe an opportunity exists for schools to provide transgenders with equal opportunities. Not only will adopting the policy be greatly beneficial to the transgender students, but also beneficial to the schools in terms of receiving funding.
- (C) The prototypical customer is schools across American that are on the fence about adopting the new policies changes for transgender students.
- (D) This opportunity will not be an easy one. This issue has been causing great controversy nation wide and changes will not come easy.
- WHY did I see this opportunity? One of my closest friends is transgender. I feel personally tied to this issue, as should everyone who cares for basic human rights.
- The second regulatory change I chose is of the medical marijuana that was approved in Ohio.
- (A) http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/05/28/will-ohios-medical-marijuana-law-get-stiff-armed-b.aspx According to this article, the use of medical marijuana was approved by Ohio's senate but still may be overturned by governor John Kasich's veto.
- (B) After reading this article, there is a lot of opportunity that comes with medical marijuana being approved. Not only to the americans that could be benefited from the drug medically, but the institutions that would be supplying it financially.
- (C) The prototypical customer would be any person from Ohio that is in need of the drug for medical reasons and the hospitals that would supply it.
- (D) I think this opportunity will be on the easier side to exploit. Since it is already approved by the senate, unless it is vetoed, it can be used very soon.
- WHY did I see this opportunity? This is an opportunity that most everyone can now recognize due to it constantly being in the news.
Saturday, May 28, 2016
Looking for Opportunity
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Becky,
ReplyDeleteI think the biggest portion of the controversy over the transgender bathrooms are concerned, is not necessarily over the transgender population, but more so about the individuals that are, for lack of another word- deviants or sex offenders, that will twist the law to help them gain access to their prey.
Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteI can see the potential in your first idea. There are some reasons people in that age bracket stay with their families. They may want to stay and take care of their parents, but for those who do want to move out of their parents' house and cannot, incentives are a great way to motivate them. Educating people who live in rural areas may also be able to motivate them to starting up their own business. It will be hard to intertwine human rights issues with government funding. As much as I agree with you that anyone, regardless of their gender identification, deserves to be treated like anyone else, getting the government to see it that way is a long, but possible, road. Check out my blog:
https://ent3003blog.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/looking-for-opportunity/