Friday, May 20, 2016

Forming an Opportunity Belief


STEP 1. My beginning point:
The belief I have is that there is a need in the chip industry for resealable bags.

STEP 2: Describe my belief:
Currently, chip bags do not have a resealable option built into the bag. Customers are forced to buy seperate clips to seal their bags or roll the bag by hand. Any consumer of chips has potentially faced the problem of chips going stale due to lack of seal. This need it not new, however new addition to the market that utilize resealable packages (oreos, crackers, etc) bring it into light and had me wondering why chip companies have not adopted this method. Personally, I'd give this a 30% on a scale of importance of problems. The reason I do give it a 30%, is because other options exist- even is they are not the most effective or convenient.

STEP 3 & 4. Prototypical customer: 3 different age groups. Older, college, and youth.

Below are the conversations I had about this opportunity:

https://soundcloud.com/user-384275903/ent3003-rawls-opportunity-belief-1

https://soundcloud.com/user-384275903/ent3003-rawls-opportunity-belief-2

https://soundcloud.com/user-384275903/ent3003-rawls-opportunity-belief-3


STEP 5. Reflection:

The biggest thing I have learned about my opportunity through talking to prototypical customers is that the problem exists and is seen in all age groups. Whether is was a father, a college student, or a high schooler, everyone I spoke too agreed that this was an opportunity that had potential. I was also surprised that when I brought up the their individual importance for eco-friendly products- the youngest was most concerned while the older customers had no concern. I think this goes along with the recent shift in consumer attitudes towards environmentally ethical products that has not reached older generations yet.

STEP 7. Summarize:

Overall, all three customers agreed that while they definitely recognize that this opportunity exists- it is not the biggest issue on their minds. I believe that from these interviews, if I was to continue with this opportunity- I would only target it toward big party chip bags.

Personally, I think entrepreneur should adapt their ideas 90% to customer needs. An entrepreneur that ignores the needs of customers is arrogant and will likely struggle. Customers know what they will buy and this is the most valuable source of information. I leave 10% for the entrepreneur to stick firm too because they most likely know more about their opportunity than the average customer.

7 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    I really like your resealable chip bag idea. I've also wondered why the chip industry hasn't incorporated this technology into their bags yet. It's so annoying to have a bag of chips go stale when a seal could've prevented it. In step 7, I agree that customer needs are by far the most important aspect of entrepreneurship. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    I think it's a great idea, bu I can also say that I know of some possible issues with the resealable items found in the grocery stores. Having worked with a company that put these items in the stores, I can tell you that the biggest issue is that there are actually customers that -- open the bags, eat what they want, and then put the bags back on the shelf!! This then becomes a big cost issue for the manufacturer, by crediting the items as damages to the store. It's actually a bigger problem than you would think, especially in low income areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rebecca, I think your idea for an opportunity for being ability to re-seal chip bags is a great idea. I can never finish a big chip bag in one sitting and just taping the bag never keeps the bag from getting stale. Having a resealable bag would extend the shelf life of my favorite chips. I am fully in favor of this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    I like your idea! I really enjoyed listening to your interviews. You did a great job. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca,

    I think resealable chip bags are a great idea! Honestly, I can't believe there's not more of them by now. Believe it or not, I actually saw a resealable chip bag for the first time at Target a couple of weeks ago and thought it was an awesome idea. The brand is Archer Farms. I actually got those chips and have found it to be extremely easy and convenient. Great idea!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://mynewbloggerblog10.blogspot.com/2016/05/forming-opportunity-belief.html

      Delete
  6. Hey Becky,

    It was really interesting and enjoyable to hear your interviews and unmeet need. I can see why this is unmet problem that many people face. I myself have experienced this problem many times. The only thing that I see is the use of more materials that would a) make the chip price more expensive b) cost more for the chip company, and or c) cause more environment issues as more thing are going to waste. Like the way I see it is that, most people would not reuse these bags even if they had a seal. Most bags I could say last less then a week maybe even as little as 2 days. Most people will likely throw away these bags. The thing with sandwich bags is that it is a product that is often is reused for an extended amount of time, I would say it is a nice idea for the big bags.

    Nice job! If you want to hear my unmeet need visits my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete